Nine talks exploring the personality of Paris 1789-1914.
1. Beginnings: the founding of Paris and its growth to 1800
2. Peopling Paris : the making of 'Parisians'
3. Monumentalising Paris: commemorating its past
4. Modernising Paris: rebuilding the city
5. Symbolising Paris: architectural icons
6. Projecting Paris: world exhibitions
7. Enjoying Paris: food, fashion and fun
8. Escaping Paris: (re)discovering nature and the provinces
9. Assassinating Paris?: revolutions, wars and the twentieth century.